Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Sunday, December 28, 2008
*SPOILER ALERT* I have not been able to stop thinking about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button since I saw it on Christmas night. Not really because it's particularly thought provoking, but mostly because I have yet to settle on a suitable moral of the story. I loved the movie; I was completely enthralled with the cinematography, makeup, and costumes (more on that later), but three days later I'm still having trouble finding a message that means something to me. Not every movie I love has to have a life altering moral, but I felt like TCCOBB was trying to tell me something, and I can't figure out what. I refuse to believe the message of the story(given as the tagline) is "life isn't measured in minutes, but moments.' That sounds like something I could find on several girls I knows's facebook profile. This is going to bug me.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is your standard coming of age story of Benjamin Button (Brad Pitt), except that he is coming of age backward. His mind and soul follow the same path as everyone else, but his body is born like that of an 85 year old and regresses all the way back to an infantile state. His doomed-from-the-beginning relationship with the beautiful Daisy(Cate Blanchett)begins when he looks 70 and she is only 8, which provides for a funny scene when he is scolded for being a pervert. The story follows them through difference epochs of their lives, both in and out of a relationship. The story is romantic, and filled with interesting characters. I didn't have much trouble sitting through this three hour long movie despite my short attention span.
This picture is easily the sweetest part of the movie. Ben and Daisy, both in their 30's ( I think) move into a duplex where they live on a mattress in the living room. We see a montage of them making love, fixing up the apartment, and generally acting happy being poor. They always romanticize being poor and happy in movies, to the point where I actually desire a life like that. Somehow, I don't think it's as great as they make it look. Although, I hope I'm wrong.

The costumes in this movie were so great. The two of these pictures above are ones for the look book. I wish I could find a picture of Cate Blanchett in this fantastic red dress, with her rosey cheeks and bright red lipstick. She looked stunning and I can still picture it in my head.
This was one of my favorite shots in the movie; it's just 20 something year old Daisy, who is on her way to becoming a world class dancer at this point, stretching her legs and exercising gorgeous dance technique as the audience views her silhouette on a gazebo against this lush fog. Breathtaking.

These last two pictures are all I have to attest to the great cinematography. Colors just don't look like this in real life. I wish I was a character in a movie :/

0 comments:

 
clairvoyance. Design by Pocket